"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase"

Martin Luther King, Jr.



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

2nd Opinion Update


I was waiting until after Jen's wedding to write about Mom's 2nd opinion because there's only so much one can take at a time. So deep breaths and here we go. Mom had a good visit with a doctor in St. Louis who reviewed the past and current situation in great detail. The decision is to wait and not do additional chemo at this time. The scan's and labwork look great and we want to give Mom time to recover from the previous surgery, gain weight, improve health etc. The problem with chemo is when the bad cells are not active the chemo does nothing. The problem with waiting is that it could pop up in places that are not recoverable and this is a very scary place to be. Mom's such a trooper and such a fighter. I am truly so very proud of her every single day. She's very unique in surviving this gastric cancer so they are treating this situation very closely and carefully. I trust Mom's choices and fully support her no matter what. It will be hard but we will all be praying often to stay strong and focused.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm in a similar situation with my mom, diagnosed w/ stage 4 stomach ca in Nov 2009 met to distant lymph node. She's done exceptionally well with chemo and recent scans show that she has very little disease left. We have the option of starting chemo mid August or waiting until Sept and then doing a scan and going from there. My mom's leaning towards the latter...

    My best wishes to your mom and your fam.
    - Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana,

    We are so sorry to hear this and obviously know how difficult this situation is. But it also shows us the more important things in life which I'm sure you have appreciation for now, more than ever.

    Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

(Leave a Comment Here)